Monday, June 7, 2010

Capello asked both Jamie Carragher and Scholes !!

Paul Scholes has revealed he would probably have accepted Fabio Capello's World Cup invitation had the call come earlier.

Capello asked both Jamie Carragher and Scholes to consider coming out of international retirement for South Africa but, while Carragher accepted, Scholes eventually rejected the request.


However, the 35-year-old Manchester United midfielder, who retired from England duty six years ago, insists he would have been open to a return if he had been asked to play a part in qualification.

"It's a big decision and I wasn't really given enough time to think about it, so I decided not to take up the offer," he told the Oldham Evening Chronicle. "If they'd asked me earlier, I probably would have accepted.

"There are players in the squad who have spent nearly two years flying all around the world helping England qualify for the World Cup, whereas I haven't been involved for a long time.

"It wasn't a case of wanting to go on holiday - it was the fact that I got the call so close to the tournament, and also I didn't want to take the place of someone who helped get England to South Africa. The idea just didn't sit comfortably with me."

Steve McClaren also attempted to persuade Scholes to come out of international retirement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment